STOP SEAHORSE ABUSE!!!!!! >:(

Seahorses could be extinct in 30 years: Trade in dried wildlife souvenirs could see the marine creatures wiped out!!!

HUNDREDS, MAYBE THOUSANDS!!! © The Seahorse Trust
Seahorses could be wiped out within 30 years by the illegal sale of dead wildlife as curiosities, according to a conservation charity.  

The Seahorse Trust are trying to achieve a new target to stop the sale of dried marine animals as holiday keepsakes. Please see what you can do to help to Stop The Curio Trade Campaign

Many families would have been to seaside resorts across Britain during the summer holidays, and may have seen all the seahorses and other creatures up for sale. The trust are warning people not to buy the mementos and instead report shops that sell them to the charity.

Creatures such as innocent seahorses, starfish, pipefish and corals are found in tourist shops in coastal towns across the UK.

Neil Garrick-Maidment, executive director of the Seahorse Trust, said while they might seem like innocent seaside souvenirs, they are illegal. And I agree!
Of every thousand that are born only one or two out of that thousand live to be adults, that means less and less of these marine creatures!!!! I think that this is COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!! What I also don’t agree with is that a lot of us humans think that they can do whatever they want, I know that there are also a lot of people that don’t think like that but there are many that do!!!!!!!

Just listen to this!!! Every year about 1 MILLION seahorses are taken out of the sea and hung out to dry WHILE ALIVE and are then made into ornaments and souvenirs for the public!!!!!!

© The Seahorse Trust


And on top of that 150 MILLION seahorses are thought to be taken out of the wild and are killed and used in traditional Chinese medicines. The sad thing is that they pretty much being killed for nothing as scientific experiments show that seahorses DO NOT have the power to heal ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

This is some Chinese'medicine' © The Seahorse Trust



Amongst everything else that’s killed there are also: Baby sharks, Baby alligators, swordfish and pufferfish… JUST TO NAME FEW!!!! 

A baby shark © The Seahorse Trust

A baby alligator © The Seahorse Trust


STOP THE CURIO TRADE CAMPAIGN © The Seahorse Trust


To donate directly to the campaign please go here

A book on the British seahorses is also available to buy at just £4.99. 100% of the profit from the sale of this book will go to help the seahorses. Buy it here 











    
A Cornish Mum

Comments

  1. Very important well done, well written x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this article and won't be buying souvenirs like these. Thanks for posting.
    Zoe
    Age 7

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this article and won't be buying souvenirs like these. Thanks for posting.
    Zoe
    Age 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this article and won't be buying souvenirs like these. Thanks for posting.
    Zoe
    Age 7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and would DEFINITELY not buy ANYTHING like that!!! :)

      Delete
  5. That is shocking to read. I wonder if you could start up a petition to stop it happening? That would be a lot of hard work but who knows - might save many seahorse lives... I will spread the word...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank and i have said to my nanny that i would look into this!!! :D

      Delete
  6. Very well written with passion. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I always thought I was bad at writing when I was at school.

      Delete
  7. As a writer myself, I think your passion and excellent research skills shine through this article. Very well constructed and delivered. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks loads it's nice to know a writer thinks I've done well.

      Delete
  8. a good read, well done for bringing attention to the issue, I had one as a child, didn't know they still made them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought people should know about it.

      Delete
  9. Well done Abbie - you opened my eyes to this.

    When I was small (I am 40 now) I had a starfish and seahorse given to me by my Canadian godparents. At the time I didn't give any thought to the way they died (this was back when I thought the animals we eat just dropped dead in the fields!)

    I feel sick about it now I know what actually happens. Thank you for enlightening me on this subject, and good luck with your blog.

    Kathryn Curtis (Mum of James and Ollie who will also be shocked when I share this with them tomorrow)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really think that it is something people need to be made aware of!!! ;)

      Delete
  10. I actually feel sick that there is a client base for these. I will keep it in mind that if I see any to report them.
    Good reporting skills here Abbiegail and great passion.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I felt horrible that people do this to animals as well! ;)

      Delete
  11. Your blog is fab and you have expressed yourself so well. Keep educating everyone about what goes on in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I do intend to do so !!! ;)

      Delete
  12. I had no idea this was happening; thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I had no idea either until recently!

      Delete
  13. Very informative. I also didn't know anything about this, thanks for opening my eyes.

    This is well written and researched too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awful! I've never seen anything like that sold, maybe because I tend to stay away from souvenir shops. But why on Earth anyone would even want to buy a dried up sea horse is beyond me! Well said and thanks for raising awareness! #PicknMix

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so sad. I don't think I've seen them being sold but I definitely wouldn't buy one. I find seahorse a fascinating. Thanks for linking to #picknmix

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

INCUBATING EGGS!!!!!

Owl Pellet